Schleißheim Airfield airfield of zweibrücken
airports worldwide
German Airports
World Airports
Aviation Articles
Schleißheim Airfield

Schleißheim Airfield Already in the year 1912 "Flying" was practiced at Schleissheim (EDNX).

His Royal Highness Luitpold, Prince of Bavaria, ordered that from April 1, 1912 a flying corps was to be established at Ober-Schleissheim.

April 1, 1912 is the day of foundation of the Royal Bavarian Flying Corps.The corps consisted of 4 officers, 8 non-comissioned officers and 50 rank and file.

Chronological table:

1912
January 1, 1912 formation of a aviation corps at the Aerial Navigation and Motor Transport Troops unit of the Royal Bavarian Army.

April 1, 1912 the aviation corps was reinforced and stationed at Oberschleissheim. This was the day of foundation of the Royal Bavarian Flying Corps.

October 5 Anton Baierlein, chief pilot of the Otto-Flugzeugwerke, hauled the first official "Bavarian Airmail" from Munich's Oberwiesenfeld airfield to Schleißheim.

October 7, construction works started at the commander's office, the first compact aerodrome building.

1913
April 1, official designation was then: Militaerfliegerstation Schleißheim
October 1, reinforcement from a company to a battalion with the subdivisions flight company and flight school.

1914
July 31, State of War, start of Mobilization, the flight battalion got the status of an aviator recruiting unit. Three bavarian aviation units were raised and transfered to the Westfront.

1917
August 5, transfer of "Fliegerabteilung" 304b to Palaestina.
Closure of the Schleissheimer Strasse, doubling of the aerodrome area in the East and start of raising the repair hangar.

1918
November 11, Cease-fire

1919
Courier services by air from Schleissheim to Weimar.
March 6, an Act resultated in formation of a provisional "Reichswehr". Cancellation of the compulsory military service and disbandment of the German Army. Formation of the Reichswehr with flying troops from volunteers at Reichswehr-Fliegerhorst Ober-Schleissheim.
Completion of the repair hangars.
Termination of the State of War in Bavaria.
Foundation of the air transport company "Bavarian Air-Lloyd" with homebase at Schleissheim.

1920
October 1, Versailler Peace Treaty in effect.
April 9, total discontinuance of the military flight operations in Germany.
May 8, official disbandment of the bavarian and german flying troops.
Major parts of the buildings and airfield facilities were disassembled.

1921
January 29, disbandment of the Flying Police Squadron Schleissheim and conversion to Flight Surveillance South Bavaria.
April 4 launch of air carrier services between Schleissheim and Konstanz by the "Bavarian Air Lloyd".
May 23 Aviator's commemoration day at Schleissheim.

1922
First high mountain landing on the Zugspitze by F. Hailer from Schleissheim.

1923
(22.10.)October 10 foundation of the first international airline transport company "Transeuropean Union" at Schleissheim.
Udet's Aircraft Manufacturing, Munich-Ramersdorf homebased Schleissheim as the factory airfield (til 1926).
Schleissheim became technical homebase for the carriers flying into/ out of Munich Oberwiesenfeld.

1925
Januar 31, air competition "Zugspitzflight" departed from Schleissheim.
April 15,launch of the air traffic with Italy by the south german Aero-Lloyd. W. Polte und F. Hailer took off at Schleissheim for the first alpine crossing of an airline transport category airplane in a Dornier Komet III.
September 12-14, International air competition held at Schleissheim.
Take-over of the repair hangars by the bavarian flight sport GmbH and opening of a flight school.

1926
January 6, foundation of the German Lufthansa. Schleissheim remained technical homebase until 1929
H. Guritzer and W. v. Langsdorff took off at Schleissheim for the first alpine crossing of an light category airplane.

1927
Transformation of the flight school of the bavarian flight sport GmbH into the German Airline Transport Pilot School (DVS).

1933
Expeditious construction of the inofficial Luftwaffe. The DVS Schleissheim increasingly got the character of fighter pilot school.

1934
Fundamental alteration and development of the airfield until 1936, errection of the Junkers Hangars.

1935
March, dismasking of the Luftwaffe. Schleissheim became an official airforce base with A/B and fighter pilot school.

1938
Schleissheim became a commanding airbase.

1939
March, transfer of the A/B school. Schleissheim then was a pure Fighter Pilot School.
August, beginning of pursuit interceptor training at Schleissheim.
September 1, beginning of the World War II.

1940
April 1, renamimg of the fighter pilot scholl in Pursuit Interceptor school.

1942

June, start of the night interceptor training at Schleissheim (Night Fighter School I)
December 21, first air strikes at Schleissheim.

1943
March 10, renaming of the Night Fighter School I in Night Fighter Group/Wing 101.
March 31, beginning of the construction of the command post of the fighter control headquarters 5. (the latter 7.) fighter division.
September 13, Schleissheim became homebase of the night interceptor squadron 6.

1944
(July, several heavy air strikes shook Schleissheim with serious damage and many civil casualties.

1945
US-Troops occupied the airfield.

1954
Foundation of Ikarus Airsports Club
A dozen air-minded indefatigables met in a barrack at the Hans-Mielich Place and assembled a glider airplane.
A stroke of luck blessed these people with a winch.Soon an airfield, if this expression had been suitable, was found.The area was located in the Froettmaninger Heide between Ingolstaedter Strasse and Autobahn Nuernberg and was dotted with bomb craters and tank trails. Almost 4000 hrs of working within a year by the now 20 members of the club were spent. The movements were still little. After a 14 hrs hard days work aviators were happy if logging two launches, at all.

1958
April 25, stationing of the Bundeswehr-Army Flying Squadron I at Schleissheim.

1964
September 10, stationing of the German Border Police Flying Squadron South.

1965
Taking up of glider operations at Schleissheim by Ikarus.

1966
April 1, Schleissheim became helicopter training facility of the US-Army.

1968
September1, US-Army flying squadron left Schleissheim.

1972
August, Schleissheim served as a copter base during the olympic games at Munich.

1973
May 31, Handing-over of the airfield administration from US-Army the Federal Republic of Germany.

1981
Suspension of the military flight operations at Schleissheim. The German Army Fliying Squadron was transfered to Penzing.

September 30, disbandment of the airfield command 204 of the German Army. Five flying clubs and the Federal Border Police stayed at Schleissheim.

Schleißheim Airfield1983
November, foundation of the association for preservation of the historical Flugwerft Oberschleissheim e. V..

1985
July 30, resolution of the bavarian Council of Ministers to preserve the hangar complex.
October 2, world record flight of H. Rochelt's "Musculair 2" muscular strength driven aircraft at Schleissheim.

Approach

Approach by airplane:
The airfield of Oberschleissheim (EDNX) is a Special Airfield.
It is subject to strict PPR-regulations. Approval for the use has to be obtained prior to departure.
On approach and departure observe the published traffic pattern procedures of the AIP Germany.
Avoid approaches via the city of Munich.

Approach by car:
From direction Ingolstaedter Strasse (leaving Munich) drive straight ahead towards Oberschleissheim until crossing the Autobahn.Turn left immediately after passing the autobahn entry/exit into a street leading to:Friedhof/cemetery Hochmutting, German Federal Border Police Flying Squad South,Deutsches Museum Airplane Hangar. There is a sign with a JU 52, too.The street will take you to "IKARUS"-signs.Attention: There is only limited parking space available!!!!

Approach by S-Bahn (S1):
Ride to the station Oberschleissheim
Then follow the signs to Schleissheim Castle and to the aerodrome.
Pass the Deutsches Museum and follow the street until our Beergarden.

Sonderlandeplatz Schleißheim (LGO)
Flugplatz
Jägerstraße 1
85764 Oberschleißheim
Germany

E-mail: ednx at gmx de

URL: http://www.ednx.de/english/start.htm


Images and information placed above are from
http://www.ednx.de/english/start.htm

We thank them for the data!


The content above was published at Airports-Worldwide.com in 2005.
We don't guarantee the information is fresh and accurate. The data may be wrong or outdated.
For more up-to-date information please refer to other sources.















christianity portal
directory of hotels worldwide
 
 

Copyright 2004-2014 © by Airports-Worldwide.com
Legal Disclaimer