|Kaunas International Airport
Kauno Oro uostas
|IATA: KUN – ICAO: EYKA
||Ministry of Transport and Communications
||78 m / 256 ft
||54°57′50″N 24°05′05″E / 54.96389°N 24.08472°E
|Source: Lithuanian AIP at EUROCONTROL
Ryanair Boeing 737-800 at Kaunas Airport|
Kaunas International Airport (Lithuanian: Kauno tarptautinis oro uostas), (IATA: KUN, ICAO: EYKA) which serves Kaunas, Lithuania is the second busiest civil airport in Lithuania after Vilnius airport and the fourth busiest in the Baltic states. The airport mainly serves international passenger and cargo flights and is located in Karmėlava, 15 km (9.3 mi) northeast of the Kaunas city centre. Kaunas Airport can handle planes up to the size of a Boeing 747, Antonov An-124 or similar jets. In 2007 the airport handled 390,881 passengers, 60 % more than in 2006. In 2009 it handled 456,698 passengers and 2,119 tonnes of cargo. Since the 4th of May 2010 the low-cost airline Ryanair uses Kaunas Airport as its base. It is the main operator at the airport.
Kaunas International Airport started operations in 1988 when airport activities were moved from S. Darius and S. Girėnas Airport, the other airport near Kaunas. In 1991, after Lithuania's independence, it gained the status of an international airport. In 1996 it became a member of Airports Council International (ACI) and it began to take part in the activities of the "Lithuanian Airports" association. Kaunas airport was used by aircraft YAK-40, and YAK-42 of local Aeroflot branch since 1988. The flight range was moderate and there were some scheduled flights from Kaunas to Kiev, Kharkiv, Moscow, Odessa, Simferopol, and Šiauliai. Regional airline Air Lithuania based in Kaunas operated scheduled and charter flights from Kaunas to Budapest, Billund, Hamburg, Malmö, and Oslo from 1993 till 2004.
At the time of moving Kaunas airport to its new location in Karmėlava in 1988, it was only a small terminal building for passengers. A new terminal for passengers (3 floors, 7,573 meters, 12 modern check-in desks) was opened in March 2008. It was designed to handle up to 800 thousand passengers per year and comply with the requirements of the Schengen agreement. Further terminal extension is planned up to 15,000 meters with 3 million annual passenger throughput.
- Located 15 km (9.3 mi) north-east from Kaunas Center. Elevation is 78 meters above sea level.
- Approach lights: length 900 meters, intensity LIH.
- Runway end lights: 300 meters, Red.
- Runway Category: 4E
- Runway strength: PCN 50 F/B/X/T
- ILS Category: CAT I
- Category for fire-fighting: CAT 7
- Airport ramp: 124,477 m, 15 parking stands
- Runway length 3,250 meters (10,663 ft), wide 45 meters (147,6 ft).
- Time zone is +2 (subject of daylight saving time in summer). Terminal space is 7 573 m. Available fuel are JET A-1, AVGAS 100LL.
Airlines and destinations
||Berlin-Schönefeld, Birmingham [ends 27 October], Bremen [ends October 30], Bristol, Brussels-Charleroi, Dublin, Edinburgh, Girona, Gothenburg-City [begins 3 November], Hahn, Liverpool, London-Gatwick, London-Luton, London-Stansted, Milan-Orio al Serio, Paris-Beauvais, Oslo-Rygge, Tampere, Weeze
- To Kaunas City Centre - bus number 29 from 5AM to 0:30 AM
- To Vilnius City
- To Klaipėda City
- To Riga City Center and Riga International Airport. There are shuttle bus connection between Kaunas airport and Latvian Capital Riga. This bus is operated by Easy Travel Latvia,ltd. The Service name is flyBus (www.flybus.lv). Stops on the route are in Latvian city of Bauska, Riga City Center and Riga International Airport. One-way ticket cost EUR 15.
- Some taxi companies operate from Kaunas Airport. Taxis take around 25 minutes to get to the city centre. Long and short term parking are available.
- Due to its excellent location in the centre of the Lithuania, Kaunas Airport is easily accessible via nearby A6 highway (Lithuania)/E262, which connects to the other main roads in Lithuania A1 motorway (Lithuania) and Via Baltica (E67).
The above content comes from Wikipedia and is published under free licenses – click here to read more.
54° 57' 50.11" N
024° 05' 05.20" E
||005° E (01/06)
||CIVIL GOVERNMENT, (LANDING FEES AND DIPLOMATIC CLEARANCE MAY BE REQUIRED)
||SEE REMARKS FOR OPERATING HOURS OR COMMUNICATIONS FOR POSSIBLE HOURS
|International Clearance Status
||Airport of Entry
|Daylight Saving Time
||Last Sunday in March to last Sunday in October
||10335 x 148 feet
3150 x 45 meters
||Distance From Field
||Bearing From Navaid
||Jet A1, without icing nhibitor.|
Aviation Gasoline (AVGAS), octane unknown.
||Ldg fees. Class C Airspace eff ATS hr, OT Class G.
||Opr 0500-2000Z++, OT O/R fone C370 37 399 250, fax C370 37 399 345.
The content above was published at Airports-Worldwide.com in 2009.
We don't guarantee the information is fresh and accurate. The data may be wrong or outdated.
For more up-to-date information please refer to other sources.
Please see some ads intermixed with other content from this site: