Gander International Airport
The Gander International Airport is designated
as a National Airport System airport under the National Airports Policy.
National Airport System airports link the country from coast to coast,
as well as internationally, and are considered essential to Canada's domestic
prosperity and international competitiveness.
Strategically located along routes between the Americas and Europe, the
Gander International Airport Authority has a major service role of providing
technical stop services to commercial carriers and corporate aircraft
for their transatlantic activities. As the main entry points into North
American airspace, the airport and the town also provide essential medical
and security services in the event of in-flight emergencies. Customs and
immigration services are also provided on-site in support of this role.
Within the regional network, the airport provides local residents, and
communities in Central Newfoundland with scheduled and charter services
for passengers and cargo to major airports, and connecting with transcontinental
and international routes. It also provides for the need of regional/local
charter services, other commercial operations, flying training, and government
civil/military aircraft activities such as search and rescue, fire protection
services, etc. In addition, five Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) serving corporate
and private aircraft, is located at the airport.
The Department of National Defense (DND) operates the Canadian Forces
Base (CFB) 9 Wing Gander on the airport site. The base's primary operation
is search and rescue.
Gander's beginnings date back to 1936 when
the construction of the international airport began in earnest. By the
end of 1937, a 900-person team had began construction. A few years later
the airfield had four paved runways - the largest airport in the world
at the time.
November 30, 1938 marks the establishment of Gander as an operational
airport. However, there still remained the lack of suitable aircraft for
transatlantic flights. Operations commenced with the arrival of two re-fuelling
aircraft, which were used throughout the summer of 1939 to flight refuel
Imperial Airways flying boats.
On January 11, 1938, the first airplane landed at Gander. It was Fox Moth
VO-ADE, operated by Imperial Airways for the Newfoundland Government and
flown by Captain Douglas Fraser.
By the outbreak of war in September 1939, Gander was ready for civil operations.
The value of a functioning airport in such a strategic position was unique.
Gander was the only operative airport in the Maritimes.
The airport at Gander became the main staging point for the movement of
Allied aircraft to Europe during World War II. Gander's location on the
Great Circle Route made it an ideal wartime refueling and maintenance
depot for bombers flying overseas.
In November 1940, Captain D.C.T.
Bennett left Gander for Europe, leading the first fleet of seven Lockheed
Hudson bombers across the Atlantic during the Battle of Britain. More
than 20,000 North American-built fighters and heavy bombers would follow.
In 1942 the Newfoundland Government handed over the control of Gander
to the Canadian Government and it became a military airfield, with a continuous
delivery of planes to the warzone.
In 1945, the Newfoundland government took over control of the airport.
By the end of the year, Pan-American World Airways, Trans-World Airline,
Trans Canada Airlines (later Air Canada) and British Overseas Airway Corporation
(later British Airways) begin regular Atlantic air service through Gander.
Gander handled 13,000 aircraft annually and a quarter million passengers,
requiring a new $3 million terminal to be built and opened in June 19,
In the 1950s, Gander airport was one of the busiest international airports
in the world, buoyed by
early 1960's saw a decline in and the arrival of the jet age. This led to
a decrease in the use of Gander by these scheduled air carriers, since they
now had the capability of flying the Atlantic without stops.
As a result, the "Trans Oceanic Plane Stop" program (TOPS) was
established for planes making strictly technical stops for food, fuel and
The first TOPS flight landed in June 1970 and was owned by Transavia of
Holland. The flights increased rapidly and in the next year, April 1971
to March 1972 there were 7,840 commercial landings made with 36 different
airlines carrying 400,317 passengers.
In the early 1980's,
IL-62s of Aeroflot (Russia), CSA (Czechoslovakia), Cubana (Cuba), Interflug
(East Germany) and LOT (Poland) visited Gander daily on flights from Eastern
Europe and the Americas. Interflug, Cubana and Aeroflot also used Gander
for the Moscow and Berlin to Havana route. Aeroflot introduced wide-body
IL-86's in 1980 and these made regular stops at Gander. The fact that
stop-overs were made at Gander soon became known to potential refugees,
and it was not uncommon to have defectors declare political asylum at
the airport. The resulting tightening of customs and immigration policy
served to effectively eliminate much of this traffic.
THE MODERN DAY
The general introduction
of long-range aircraft and modernization of the transatlantic fleet has
impacted the level of traffic at Gander. Today, cargo carriers using B747-200s
for lugs such as Amsterdam-JFK use Gander as a necessary fuel stop for
fully-loaded aircraft. The boom in outside freight flights has resulted
in regular visits from the Antonov An-124, as well as IL-76 cargo carriers.
Cubana IL-76s still use Gander ocassionallt as a fuel stop when they are
required for transatlantic cargo flights. The largest aircraft in the
world, the Antonov An-225, also transits through Gander on flights to
and from North America. Technical stops remain a significant economic
generator for the airport, especially with growth in the corporate/private
jet market. On November 6, 1996, the Gander International Airport Authority
Inc. was incorporated. After extensive negotiations, the Agreement to
Transfer the airport from Transport Canada was signed; and the airport
transferred to the Gander International Airport Authority in March of
2001. The aviation industry has undergone a profound change, and Gander
International Airport continues to work to change with it.
HISTORY OF GANDER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY INC.
On November 6, 1996,
the Gander International Airport Authority Inc. was incorporated. Over
the next two years, a letter of intent was signed, staff hired, and business
On October 4, 2000, after extensive negotiations, the Agreement to Transfer
was signed with Transport Canada. On March 1, 2001, the Gander International
Airport Authority Inc. assumed operational and managerial control of the
Address: 1000 James
P.O. Box 400
Gander, NL, Canada
(709) 256-6666, (709) 256-6668
Fax: (709) 256-6725
Email: marketing at giaa nf ca
and information placed above are from
thank them for the data!
48° 56' 13.00" N
054° 34' 05.00" W
(Civil and Military)
- CIVIL JOINT USE AIRPORT
Sunday in March at 0200 to first Sunday in November at 0200 local
time (Exception Arizona and that portion of Indiana in the Eastern
a description of HF Aeromobile Operations in the NAT and associated
hrs of operation for Gander IFSS, refer to AIP COMM section 6. SATCOM
routine communications INMARSAT Code 431613, Public Phone C709-651-5328.
x 200 feet
3109 x 61 meters
x 50 feet
572 x 15 meters
x 200 feet
2713 x 61 meters
Keroscene MIL Spec T-5624
Jet A1, without icing nhibitor.
Jet B+, wide cut turbine fuel with icing inhibitor.
100/130 MIL Spec, low lead, aviation gasoline (BLUE)
Thanks to: www.worldaerodata.com
We don't guarantee the information is fresh and accurate. The data may
be wrong or outdated.
For more up-to-date information please refer to other sources.
Please see some ads intermixed with other content from this site: