List of artificial objects on extra-terrestrial surfaces
the free encyclopedia,
Artist's Concept of rover on MarsApollo 15 lunar rover in its final resting place on the moonScale model of the Huygens probe which landed on Titan
List of artificial objects on Venus
List of artificial objects on the Moon
List of artificial objects on Mars
Artificial objects on other solar-system bodies
Objects that landed substantially intact
- On the asteroid Eros, the NEAR Shoemaker probe touched down on the surface on 12 February 2001, although it had not been specifically designed for this purpose.
- On Titan, a moon of Saturn, the Huygens probe from the Cassini-Huygens mission landed successfully on 14 January 2005. NASA currently has plans to steer the main spacecraft into Saturn's atmosphere after its mission ends to prevent the contamination of Titan's surface by any terrestrial microbes.
- On the asteroid 25143 Itokawa, a target marker from the Hayabusa probe was released to the surface on 19 November 2005 which has a list of 880,000 names etched on it.
Objects destroyed or vaporized on impact
- The Galileo spacecraft released a 339-kg probe into Jupiter's atmosphere in 1995. During the parachute-assisted decent, the probe vaporized as was expected. The main spacecraft stayed in orbit around Jupiter until 2003 when it was deliberately sent into Jupiter's atmosphere by ground controllers as a measure to prevent contamination of the moon Europa, which may have a subterranean ocean, by any terrestrial microbes and radioactive waste.
- A projectile released by the Deep Impact probe struck the nucleus of Comet 9P/Tempel on July 4, 2005.
Estimated total masses of objects
Mars 3 lander at the Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics in Russia
MER-A Spirit rover lander
Apollo 15 Lunar Roving Vehicle in its final resting place on the Moon
Scale model of the Huygens probe which landed on Titan
Text from Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License; additional terms may apply.
Published - July 2009
Please see some ads intermixed with other content from this site: