Jacksons International Airport (IATA: POM, ICAO: AYPY), also known as Port Moresby Airport, it is located 5 miles (8 kilometres) outside Port Moresby, in Papua New Guinea. It is the largest and busiest airport in Papua New Guinea and is the main hub for Air Niugini, the national airline of Papua New Guinea, as well as the main hub for Airlines PNG.
Air Niugini has an extensive domestic network throughout Papua New Guinea, using Bombadier Dash 8 turbo-prop aircraft (36 and 50 seat capacity) as well as the Fokker 100 jet aircraft (97 seat capacity). It also uses the Fokker 100 on some international services to Cairns in Australia as well as to Honiara in Solomon Islands and Nadi in Fiji. A Boeing 767-300, a Boeing 757-200 and an Embraer 190 operate the airline's other international destinations including Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Manila, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney and Brisbane.
Cathay Pacific also used to operate flights to Auckland, New Zealand via Port Moresby, but these were terminated, as were Continental Micronesia's jet services from Guam.
Jacksons International Airport consists of two terminals: The Domestic Terminal housing Air Niugini and Airlines PNG, and the International Terminal servicing all other airlines. The International Terminal features four aircraft parking bays, two of which are equipped with aerobridges. The two terminals are linked by a covered walkway.
Airlines and destinations
The pre-World War II Port Moresby Airport became one of the primary airfields used by the Allied forces during the New Guinea campaign (1942–1945), and was part of a multiple-airfield complex in the Port Moresby area, It was renamed Jackson Airfield Australian ace pilot John Jackson, leader of RAAF Squadron 75, who was killed in a dogfight against Japanese planes over Port Moresby on April 28, 1942.
It based the first fighters that flew in defense of Port Moresby, the No. 75 Squadron RAAF which flew P-40 Warhawks the airfield from March–May 1942 destroying over 60 Japanese aircraft in air-to-air combat and strafing attacks for a loss of 24 aircraft and 12 pilots.
When American forces arrived in April 1942, the airfield was further developed and expanded. It was also known as "7-Mile Airdrome", revetments were constructed to protect parked aircraft and defenses. Also, a network of taxiways was build between Jackson and the adjacent Wards Airfield (5-Mile Airdrome) which made it possible to taxi between the two airfields.
Jacksons Airfield was primarily a command and control facility, housing the headquarters of many groups, with their operational squadrons deployed in the forward areas, although it was used for some operational squadrons.
With the end of the war, the USAAF withdrew from the airfield in 1945, however it was used as a major disposal point for excess Allied aircraft, and for years disposed B-17s, P-47s, B-25s, P-38s, A-20Gs and even s few P-40s could be found in various states of decay in the area.
Major USAAF units assigned
Incidents and accidents
The above content comes from Wikipedia and is published under free licenses – click here to read more.
Thanks to: www.worldaerodata.com
The content above was published at Airports-Worldwide.com in 2010.
Copyright 2004-2018 © by Airports-Worldwide.com