In 1927 Rudolf Frimel,
the mayor of Bad Voeslau, had a vision: the village has to have an airfield,
east of the village of Kottingbrunn. It was the times, when Lindbergh
crossed the Atlantic in an almost 34 hours’ flight. Thus inspired,
the members of the Kottingbrunn and Bad Voeslau village councils, appealed
to the Austrian chancellor’s office, who granted permission for
the foundation of an airfield. ‘Flugplatz Bad Voeslau/Kottingbrunn’
was opened with a flight-show on September 13, 1928. It was Franz Zuzman
who already in 1929 saw a chance to turn the airfield into a private one.
The only public airfield in the area was that at Wien Aspern, which, since
1912, had started turning into a hub for European air traffic. His plans
came to a success in 1930 when he was granted a 30 years’ lease
of the airfield. Though international traffic passed the airfield some
miles north at Wien-Aspern, the development of general aviation could
be well followed at the airfield, with aircraft that slowly but steadily
became more and more state of the art. When the Nazis annexed Austria
in 1938, Zuzmann’s dream was abruptly put to an end, the ‘Deutsche
Luftwaffe’ took over the airfield. Zuzmann was indemnified for the
dispossession of the airfield which was turned into ‘Fliegerhorst
Voeslau’. Squadrons from Cottbus, Stargard and Rothwesten/Kassel
were relocated to operate from ‘Fliegerhorst Voeslau’. In
1942 the field was also heavily used for the training of pilots. When
in August 1943 the Americans started bombing the ‘Ostmark’
and Wiener Neustadt was heavily devastated in 26 attacks and the ‘Wiener
Neustaedter Flugzeugwerke’ (aircraft production) were destroyed,
the further production of aircraft was decentralized, and Bad Voeslau
was involved in that scheme. So in 1944 the airfield was also repeatedly
attacked by US-bombers. The resulting devastation was enormous and was
added by the intrusion of Russian troops and the blasting done to hangars
and buildings by the retreating Germans in the early days of April 1945.
The airfield was then occupied by the Russians and held till 1955. When
in 1955 Austria became free and independent again and the occupying forces
left our country, it had been the airfield of Voeslau/Kottingbrunn, that
Ing. Julius Raab, Dr. Adolf Schaerf, Ing. Leopold Figl and Dr. Bruno Kreisky
had left for Moscow, to return with a treaty that made Austria a free
country again. After the war the Austrian government decided to turn Zeltweg,
Hoersching, Langenlebarn, Aigen and Wiener Neustadt into military airfields,
the use of Voeslau was not considered. So Voeslau/Kottingbrunn was turned
into a private airfield and was granted permission to train glider and
aircraft pilots in 1956 and 1957 respectively. When in 1972 the FWB (Flughafen
Wien Betriebsgesellschaft) took over the field a new era started. This
resulted in a reconstruction and further development of the airfield.
Soon after, small hangars and a terminal building were completed, concreting
works on the 850 meter long runway terminated this phase of reconstruction.
Technical state-of-the-art equipment and a tower built in 1979 added to
the standard of the airfield. Voeslau/Kottingbrunn has turned into the
biggest airfield for general aviation and since then has been used for
the training of general-aviation as well as commercial and airline pilots
by many clubs, stationed not only at the field itself, but also at other
fields. In 1985
Voeslau/Kottingbrunn was turned into a public airfield and since 1996
has been successfully run by MFU Flugbetriebs GmbH and in the future might
and will serve many more generations of pilots.
times 0900 LT - ECET max. 20.30 LT
Available fuel AVGAS 100LL - Super95 - Jet A1
Fully EASA certified aircraft maintenance operation
Submission of flightplans
Customs Office on request, please see details
Landingfee dependant on MToW, please see our pricelist
Tie-Down up to 5600 Kg MToW, up to 4 hours free of charges, thereafter
1.03€ per hour, max. 4€ pro 24 hours.
Hangar space on request
Type: Airport (Aerodrome, Airfield)
Latitude: 47°58'N (47.967)
Longitude: 16°16'E (16.267)
Elevation: 769 ft (234 m)
Timezone: UTC+1 (DST+2)
Runways: unknown number
Longest: 2850 ft (869 m)
+43 1 7007 9200 direct line to the Tower
fax. +43 2252 75370
Images and information placed above are from
We thank them for the data!
The content above was published at Airports-Worldwide.com in 2007.
We don't guarantee the information is fresh and accurate. The data may be wrong or outdated.
For more up-to-date information please refer to other sources.