Eucla Airport Eucla Airport in Australia
airports worldwide
Australia airports
World airports
Airport photos - free!
Aircraft photos - free!
Spacecraft pics - free!
Aviation articles
Eucla Airport


Eucla was established in 1877 as a manual repeater station for the Overland Telegraph. A jetty and 1km tram line was constructed for offloading supplies to this remote area. At the time both the South and Western Australian colonial administrations operated out of Eucla's telegraph station. Before the invention of Morse Code South Australian staff employed what was known as the "Victorian Alphabet", and Western Australian telegraphers used what was known as the "Universal Code." Today Western Australian and South Australian rivalries appear to be largely confined to the football field. Come on Port Power!

Originally, Eucla's "Delisser Sandhills" were considerably smaller than today. In the 1890's a rabbit plague passed through the area eating dune vegetation which caused large sand drifts that repeatedly covered and uncovered the telegraph station. Today the telegraph station remains in ruin and the area is reportedly haunted by a ghost.

Eucla Airport
Photo credit: Richard Dale (Flight Club)
(Click on the photo to enlarge)

 
Eucla Airport
Photo credit: Richard Dale (Flight Club)
(Click on the photo to enlarge)

 


Images and information placed above are from
http://www.flightclub.com.au/wa-airstrips/eucla/
http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/towns/eucla.html
We thank them for the data!

The content above was published at Airports-Worldwide.com in 2004-2006.
We don't guarantee the information is fresh and accurate. The data may be wrong or outdated.
For more up-to-date information please refer to other sources.















christianity portal
directory of hotels worldwide
 
 

Copyright 2004-2017 © by Airports-Worldwide.com
Legal Disclaimer