the free encyclopedia,
The Gulfstream III, a business jet produced by Gulfstream Aerospace, is an all-weather, long-range, high speed aircraft powered by two Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engines with thrust reversers. There are two types of GIIIs in service. Earlier model GIIIs have a DC based electrical system, these are referred to as Non-VSCF (Variable Speed, Constant Frequency). Alternately newer GIIIs have an AC based electrical system, and are referred to as VSCF GIIIs.
- Gulfstream III - Two or three-crew executive, corporate transport aircraft.
- C-20A - USAF variant configured for 14 passengers and 5 crew; phased out of USAF service in 2002, one example transferred to NASA for use at the Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards AFB, CA as a test aircraft
- C-20B - USAF and USCG variant with upgraded electronics, used for Operational Support Airlift (OSA) and Special Assignment Airlift Missions (SAAM); single U.S. Coast Guard C-20B supports the Commandant of the Coast Guard, senior USCG officials and the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
- C-20C - USAF C-20B with upgraded and "hardened" secure communications, often utilized as backup aircraft accompanying the VC-25A aircraft when it is operating as Air Force One
- C-20D - USN Operational Support Airlift (OSA) aircraft with modified communications equipment for use by the U.S. Navy, normally in support of high-ranking naval officials
- C-20E - Stretched fuselage/redesigned wing variant for use by the US Army as an Operational Support Airlift (OSA) aircraft
- Gulfstream III SRA-1 - Special reconnaissance and surveillance version for export.
- Gulfstream III SMA-3 - Export model for Denmark, fitted with a Texas Instruments APS-127 search radar. Three maritime reconnaissance and patrol, fisheries protection, search and rescue, and VIP transport aircraft were built for the Royal Danish Air Force in 1983. No longer in service.
NOTE: US Army C-20F and C-20J, USN / USMC C-20G, and USAF C-20H aircraft are all Gulfstream IV variants
Military and government operators
Military and government operators of the Gulfstream III and C-20 include:
- Côte d'Ivoire
- United States
Specifications (Gulfstream III)
- Crew: Captain, Co-Pilot, Crew Chief and/or Flight Attendant
- Capacity: Twenty-six
- Length: 83 ft 2 in (25.35 m)
- Wingspan: 77 ft 10 in (23.72 m)
- Height: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
- Empty weight: 38,000 lb (17,237 kg)
- Loaded weight: 69,700 lb (31,615 kg)
- Useful load: 31,000 lb (14,061 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 69,700 lb (31,615 kg)
- Powerplant: Two× Rolls-Royce Spey RB.163 Mk 511-8 Turbofan, 11,400 lbf (50.7 kN) each
- Maximum speed: knots (mph, km/h)
- Cruise speed: 459 knots (528 mph, 850 km/h)
- Stall speed: 105 knots (121 mph, 194 km/h)
- Range: 3,767 nm (4,335 mi, 6,976 km)
- Service ceiling: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)
- Rate of climb: 4,049 ft/min (20.6 m/s)
Text from Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License; additional terms may apply.
Published - July 2009