Design and development
After the failure of his first design, the Brantly B-1, N.P. Brantly decided to design a simpler and less complicated helicopter for the private buyer. The Brantly B-2 had a single main rotor and an anti-torque tail rotor and first flew on 21 February 1953. This was followed by an improved second prototype that first flew on 14 August 1956. The B-2A was introduced with a modified cabin, and the B-2B had a larger 180hp fuel-injected engine. The B-2B has a three-blade main rotor and an all-metal fuselage, it can be operated with skid, wheel or float landing gear. Unusually, to save room, the engine is fitted vertically in the fuselage behind the cabin.
The basic design remained in production for over 30 years. The United States Army evaluated the B-2 (designated the YHO-3) in 1958, although it was not ordered. An improved larger version with five seats was designated the Brantly 305.
Brantly B2 serial # 194 Designation N2143U was purchased in 1962 and flown by Dean Svec for all of its total of 2,108 hrs. It was retired in 2006 and is now on permanent public display at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum - Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio.
Specifications (B-2B with skid landing gear)
Published - July 2009
Please see some ads intermixed with other content from this site:
Copyright 2004-2018 © by Airports-Worldwide.com